Oregano is known to be the most potent of all herbs. Oregano offers a familiar and distinctive taste to Italian and Greek dishes; add it to these dishes to delight in not only its flavor but its exceptional health benefits.
I grow several kinds of oregano every year. These are
kept in pots near my back door and are specially
prepared to keep the chickens out of them.
Oregano prefers warm climates and full sun. It is a perennial here in zone 7, and can spread quite amazingly!
Oregano is the very most powerful source of phenol antioxidants - 42 times as much as apples, 12 times more than oranges and 4 times more than blueberries. Oregano offers a rich source of antibacterial benefits. Some restaurants reportedly add a few drops of oregano oil in salad bars to help protect against E.Coli and salmonella.
Oregano is also a strong anti-fungal and provides excellent anti-parasitic properties.
Oregano oil was recently studied and found to be significantly better than ALL of the 18 currently used antibiotics in the treatment of MRSA staph infections. Oregano oil is an excellent disinfectant and aids in treating ear, nose and throat infections, respiratory infections and bacterial/viral conditions. Dried oregano offers great health benefits, but oregano oil is more potent.
Make your own OREGANO OIL: collect the leaves and flowers at midday and put them loosely into a sterilized bottle or jar. Add olive oil, almond oil or grape seed oil. Boil some water in a sauce pan. Turn of the heat and place the jar or bottle of oregano oil in the water and leave for 10 minutes (this process heats the oil and helps release the natural oils of the oregano). Remove the jar and place in a sunny spot outdoors or by a window for 2 weeks, shaking the jar every few days. After 2 weeks, stain the oil from the leaves and pur into a sanitized jar, then store it in a cool dark place. Generally you'll want to dilute oregano oil with a carrier oil such as jojoba, olive or coconut oil - 1 part oregano oil to 3 parts carrier oil.
Uses for Oregano Oil
- TREAT NAIL FUNGUS by diluting the oil and applying it to your nails or skin
- KILL PARASITES by diluting the oil and placing it under your tongue for a few minutes. Rinse and repleat 4 times daily.
- INSECT REPELLENT - dilute the oil and rub it on your skin
- RELIEVE BUG BITES AND RASHES by diluting the oil and applying to affected area
- TREAT COLD SORES, DANDRUFF, ACNE AND ROSACEA by using diluted oregano oil
- TOOTH ACHE AND SORE THROAT RELIEF: add a few drop to a glass of water and gargle
- MUSCLE AND JOINT PAIN RELIEF: rug diluted oil on affected areas
- HOUSEHOLD CLEANING: add 4 drops of oreganoil to 10 drops lemon oil and 1/4 cup white vinegar. This can be added to a bucket of water and used to wipe and clean surfaces.